Saturday, April 05, 2008

Recession

And here's a thought on the recession...

Maybe it's because I work in media, but I can't help but think that we aren't doing ourselves any favors by covering the recession every-single-day. All I hear is how bad everything is. How bad the numbers are. How many people are being forced to sell their homes. Yada, yada.

Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, we're creating a recession by encouraging people NOT to spend their money? I'm not saying it would go away if reporters stopped covering it, and I'm not saying it's a good idea to cover it up, I just wonder what the psychological impact is on the masses when the media replay gloom and doom stories. What if the media spent a month covering stories of hope, stories of people taking control of their lives and changing them for the better, overcoming odds, etc.

I'm thinking it would bring people hope and happiness - in a time where there is so much worry and concern for the future of our country.

No comments: