Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Christmas Is Coming: Marzipan

So today's Christmas activity was supposed to be marzipan. I love the stuff. But the marzipan I bought was strangely hard, maybe because it has been in the fridge for a couple days? Anyway, it will have to wait until tomorrow.

But I do have a Marzipan story instead. I was at the grocery store, ran into a gal that I met at the park (we exchanged numbers and then lost them - I found her number yesterday and gave her a call about a month after I met her - and scheduled a play date for next week). Anyhoo.... I ran into her at the store and we were chatting. She asked me what I was picking up, and I said "food color, so we can do Marzipan tonight." And she responded, "oh, do you celebrate both holidays?"

And I wasn't really sure what to say. Don't get me wrong, I knew what the answer was. Time seemed to slow down as I tried to recall if anyone had ever told me marzipan was part of a Jewish traditions. I don't know, I'm not Jewish. Or was she just making conversation?

I concluded it was best to say, "oh, we celebrate Christmas." I hope my silent pondering about the history of marzipan didn't offend her in any way.

No comments: