Saturday, September 15, 2007

Red Head

Our new neighborhood is crazy about garage sales. There is one on every other block.

So I decided to drop in on one...

A boy and his mother sat outside a gorgeous old home. There was no one else there. I walked up to them, looking around at what they had on offer (rubbish).

The little boy said loudly, "Look mom, she is so white!" (I suddenly felt like I was back in China)

I explained that I wear sunscreen every day, that I stay out of the sun because it's better for the skin. That too much sun is bad for the skin and causes wrinkles. I decided to leave the cancer part out.

His mother, who was clearly not in agreement with my sun-free lifestyle choice, said to her son, "She has to stay out of the sun, she is a red head."

I wanted to tell her I'm not. That my hair color may have a tinge of red due to my stylist. But then I thought better of it. Her boy was clearly brainwashed to think bronze is better.

And if there's one thing I've learned by being a mom, it's not to contradict another mother.

No comments: