Monday, July 02, 2007

2 a.m.

Chase made the time zone transition from China to the US without a problem, but she is having a hard time making the adjustment back.

I foolishly believed we kicked it yesterday. She was doing really well - and then fell into a deep slumber from 4:30 p.m. and slept until 2 a.m. Hubs and I couldn't wake her. We even tried the ole, "look, there's Santa!" routine. Not even a flicker of the eye lashes. She clearly needed the rest.

And so, at 2 a.m. when she awoke, we did some dishes, re*organized* the cabinets, colored, and I tried my hardest to bore her to sleep, which finally happened at 4:30 a.m. She proceeded to sleep for another hour and a half, and as I could not drag my sorry, sleepy body off the bed, Hubs took the 6 a.m.-7:30 a.m. shift, at which point he woke me as he needed to go to work.

It was about this time when I noticed she had four new mosquito bites on her legs, which means she now has a total of about NINE bites (at least). After seeing (the day before) she had been bitten, I went out and bought an electric mosquito killer, one of those thingies that kills mosquitoes using high frequency. Unfortunately it wasn't on all night - or maybe one of those mosquitoes was immune to the pitch (although I did find two dead mosquitoes on the window sill this morning). So now I have mosquito repellant (to soak her in before putting her to bed) and a full blown mosquito net that is set up like a tent over her bed.

I remember thinking a while back how "cool" those nets are - (I've always seen them in movies so there is something in my brain that links them to hot, romantic nights) and now that we actually need them, I'm not loving them so much. In fact, they now create more problems, because I have to zip Chase into her bed at night - not something that is easy to do - and I know it will drive her NUTS if she wakes up and is suddenly stuck in her bed.

At any rate, Chase managed to get through the morning without a nap and then fell asleep when the clock struck noon. She slept poorly for about 30 minutes and is now running around, trying so hard to keep her eyes open. We have a play date at 3 p.m. with Ho Di - and frankly, I feel as though I'm going to fall asleep before she does.

Seems odds are very high she'll crash at 4 p.m. today, too.

So the question becomes - do I wake her after an hour or let her sleep?

No comments: