- At least 125 people were injured setting off faulty Chinese New Year fireworks Sunday in Beijing; three of the injuries were serious.
- One person had to have his eyes removed.
- There were 114 accidental fireworks-caused fires in Beijing.
- Nationwide: Accidental fires from fireworks killed 63 people in China over the holiday last year.
- Fireworks sales (by government-approved vendors) hit 380,000 boxes this year ( compare to the 240,000 sold last year).
- About 560 million illegal firecrackers were seized (more than four times the amount confiscated last year).
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Chinese New Year: The Aftermath
Posted by Chase at 3:47 PM