Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Day

So for all those people that think that being a stay-at-home mom is so glam, I'd like to share my day (thus far) with you.

First of all I'm sick at the moment (or is it allergies?)

6:30 a.m. - Awake

7:00 a.m. - Morning rituals (brushing hair & teeth, changing clothes - which has become a bit of a traumatic thing, Chase doesn't like to take her PJs off anymore). Sitting on the potty, which hasn't led to anything in two days.

8:00 a.m. - Making Chase breakfast, quick chat with Hubs before he goes to work

8:30 a.m. - Dog pukes everywhere. Three times.

9:00 a.m. - Make some media calls for my client.

9:15 a.m. - Make some lemon bars for our housekeeper.

9:30 a.m. - Huge diaper. Prepare snacks/diaper bag.

9:45 a.m. - We're in the car and she can't decide what she wants to listen to. Every time I put something in the stereo that she likes, she says, "Mama, no!" So I turn it off. And she gets really upset. And I ask her if she wants to go to the zoo. And she says, "no" and then I look at her and she whispers, "yes."

10:00 a.m. - Arrive at the zoo, only to find all parking places are taken and I have to park in the intestines of the garage. Carry Chase to the zoo. We spend the first half hour quite close to the entrance, as Chase loves to things over and over again. Like walk on curbs. Or run down ramps. Or climb stairs. Or slide her hand all-the-way-along-a-rail-until-she-runs-out-of-room.
And now she's gotten to the point where she'll say, "Mama, No!" and push me to where she wants me to stand. And then continue her routine.

12:00 p.m. - We finally leave the zoo. And Chase is SO sad. And the sun is burning - it's 82 degrees today. And yes, it is supposed to snow tomorrow.

12:20 p.m. - We're home and Chase won't eat any part of lunch that I prepared for her. Nor will she sit down and read books (which usually results in a nap). Instead, she is fixated on bubbles - so out we go, into the back yard, with Taggart, to blow bubbles. And Taggart is barking, so I let him into the main part of the yard, and then he works at digging up my vegetable garden.

12:30 p.m. - I have basically given up on Chase taking a nap. Or eating lunch. She plays outside, while I watch her through the screen door.

1:00 p.m. - ENORMOUS explosion in her diaper. So big I decide to just throw her pants away, rather than salvage them. But in taking them off, it just gets everywhere.

1:30 p.m. - Finally clean and now asking over and over for new pants. new pants. new pants. new pants. new pants. new pants. "Yes, yes," I say, "new pants." By re-stating her words, I hope she will understand I hear her.

1:35 p.m. - We sit down to read a book. "Soy, mama, soy, mama." So off I go to get soy. And then we read.

1:40 p.m. - Chase falls asleep.

1:50 p.m. - Housekeeper arrives.

1:55 p.m. - I pick up around the house like a crazy woman. And hope Chase will nap until at least 2:30 p.m.

And that's been my day so far. I don't know how women with children find the time to (1) work, (2) have friends, (3) get nails done, (4) get hair cut - etc. I'm in shorts and I desperately need to shave my legs. Ah well.

No comments: