Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A New Baby

No, I'm not pregnant again.

Chase's word of the month is "baby." Of all the words in her baby sign book, she liked the word "baby" best. She's been saying, over and over, every day. And so I decided this was a (not so subtle) hint to me that she needed to have a baby doll.

I thought I found one at Costco (I didn't set out to look for baby dolls at Costco, I just stumbled across one that seemed good - she came with a stuffed animal, a blanket, a bottle, a pacifier, a bassinet and diapers - aka hours of self entertainment, I hoped). But when we got her home, we found the baby's eyes didn't close and her arms looked like she had been lifting weights - they didn't hang at her sides - they were completely overstuffed. And so I decided we'd return it and keep looking.

Yesterday I was at TAR-JEHY, and decided to take a look at the baby dolls on offer. I have never seen SO many scary dolls. There was one that was a sick baby - and it came with bandages, a thermometer, and cheeks that turned red - and on the packaging it said, "Mommy will make it better." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

And, while we were looking at baby dolls, I passed another mother, with kids who must have been about five years old. They were looking at the older dolls saying, "Mom, can you believe how ugly she is?"

At that point I really wanted to turn around and say, "You know life isn't all about looks. That doll probably has a great personality, is super smart and might even go on to be the first female president of the United States."

No comments: