Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Singapore: First Impressions

I can't believe it has been nearly 10 years since I was last in Asia. It's good to be back!

Stepping off the plane, the first thing that hit me was the familiar smell. I can't really explain it. It's sort of a sweet, musty, air-conditioned smell - and it's everywhere. The second thing I recall is noticing the elaborate orchid arrangements. The third, and most unexpected, is that everyone speaks English.

It wasn't like I was expecting people to speak Swiss German, but after spending 6 months in a country, where English is not spoken widely, it's a little odd to be halfway around the world and have absolutely no problem communicating.

The good news: Chase slept well on the plane.
The bad news: she was not keen to get another 8 hours of sleep.

And so, for the past two nights, we've spent the hours between 2 am - 5 am quietly playing.

No comments: